One of the most difficult aspects of weight loss is the self-denial to starve yourself coupled with the discipline to punish your body with grueling exercise routines.
How long can you stand it before you break down and collapse into the recliner with a whole chocolate cake?
Instead of that, why not try sneaking up on weight loss by making small changes, one at a time. Here are some examples.
Food and Drink Changes
01) Instead of sweet drinks, drink ice water. It's more refreshing, and will not leave you thirsty like most sweet drinks will.
02) Enjoy hot cocoa, but find the sweet aftertaste leaves you craving sugar? Try dissolving a starlight mint in your cocoa-leaves a fresh, minty taste.
03) Add protein to your breakfast carbs to minimize sugar spikes and leave you feeling fuller for longer. Eggs, meat, and cheese taste good and provide protein.
04) Craving a sweet frozen snack? Try freezing seedless grapes or strawberries instead of an ice cream bar.
05) Check out the many varieties of 100-calorie snacks. You can choose from both salty and sweet snacks.
06) Fast food lunches are notorious for high fat and carbs. Pack your own sandwich and fruit and save both money and calories. Or take a thermos of tasty vegetable soup.
07) An afternoon snack of lean meat and cheese can add healthy protein to your diet and help get you through the afternoon slump.
08) Looking for economic dinner choices? Add another vegetable or fruit instead of stuffy carbs or high-fat desserts.
09) When you go to the store, park away from the doors and walk from your car. The exercise will be good for you, and you can avoid battles with the other Parking Vultures.
10) Have a meeting on the second or third third floor? Go ahead and use the elevator to go up, but take the stairs down. Good exercise at minimum effort.
11) Do housework to some loud, peppy music. You will soon find yourself dancing as you dust.
12) Play with the dog. Chasing a ball or a Frisbee will not feel at all like the torture of "exercise" while having fun and burning calories.
11) Join a sports league. Your church or local "Y" may have sports leagues in volleyball, softball, and other sports. You can also join a bowling or golf league. Meet new people, enjoy sports, and burn away calories.
Smart Shopping Changes
12) Smart eating starts with smart shopping. Look for healthier alternatives to snacks and quick meals. Add lean sandwich meats and tasty fruits for quick snacks.
13) If you are tempted to eat the entire chocolate cake in one sitting, do not buy the chocolate cake.
14) On the other hand, if you crave candy bars and nothing but a candy bar will do, buy a pack of "fun size" candy bars and allow yourself ONE at a time.
15) Because losing weight is not about self-denial. It's about learning to make healthy choices. One choice at a time.